Thursday, December 22, 2011

Religious Activity in China

I was just asked about what Church is like in China....here is my response...

The church is alive and well in Beijing at least. There are 3 wards - 2 expat, and one for Chinese nationals...the government does not allow you to mix. I don't even think that their ward is allowed to be in the building when we are there. It is the same other than we have a lot more televised things.

I have been surprised that they have had Christmas songs playing in retail shops - mentioning Jesus Christ. I was in the Chinese equivalent of Target several weeks ago, and on the music they were playing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" but instead of saying "Santa Claus", the music was saying "Jesus Christ" is coming to town. Tommy and I had to chuckle, but it seems like there some degree of religious freedom....at least people do not worry about it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment