Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pressures of Chinese Living

I think it is a common belief that Chinese people are savers.....and I would agree with that. They would rather save their money than to eat out, take cabs, etc. Recently inflation has been a big problem in China. The cost of living is equal to any large U.S. city in Beijing. My rent for a mediocre 3 bedroom is about $1400 per month (to buy that same apartment is over $500,000), school per child is about $325 per month, food is another $200 per month for myself and 3 children, utilities are the same price, and cars are 125% more in China - so a Honda Accord runs around $70,000.

Wages is China are dramatically lower than they are in the U.S. professionals make between $600-$900 per month. The numbers just do not add up. The more that I have talked with Chinese people the more I am finding out that the cost of living is so high that children are living off of their parents savings. It blows my mind that parents who have grown up with wars, starvation, communism are so eager to spend $75k + for their children to buy a car or are willing to give the downpayment for an apartment (I think downpayments are around 30% of the value of the property).

For those not lucky enough to have wealthy or frugal parents - the parents then become an additional responsibility.

The people here are talking about how afraid the government is about being over thrown by the people because people just can't survive the current conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment