Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Banking in China - the major pain

Things in China just are not as convenient. You want a bike lock - you go to the bike lock store. You need wrapping paper - there is a stationary store....but buy 20 roles because you are barely able to wrap a gift with one roll. Banking is what really took me the most by surprise.

I went to the Bank and set up an account. In America that would have obviously enabled you to do online banking - not so in China. You need a special bank account to have an online account. So I went to the bank the other day, and set up that account. When I got home I learned that I needed to download software to do it....which is a pain, but what was worse is that their software is so old that it doesn't run on any computer sold in the US since about 2005. So you have to take an extra step so that your computer can load the new software. After you are done with that you can access your information online, but if you want to pay for something - you have to attach one of those password generators...and they tell you if you loose it someone can steal all of your money...so Don't Loose It!

No comments:

Post a Comment