Saturday, June 23, 2012

Gavin Reading Chinese


If the world ended today - would I regret having brought the boys to China???  Probably not, but I would regret spending so much time and energy helping Gavin read Chinese! My feeling is that if Gavin can read - language retention will be much, much easier.

Gavin has been a Rock Star at learning to read Chinese. Right now he recognizes 450 characters (seen in the shape of a dinosaur behind him)....we are hoping to get to 800 before we get home.  Chinese children are required to know 870 characters by the end of the first grade, 1500 by the end of second grade (that represents 90% of what is written), 2000 by the end of 3rd grade, and 2500 for their lifetime. 

Learning the Chinese characters has been a lot of work for Gavin too. The other day on the way home I was asking Gavin what things in his life make him the happiest.  One of the first things he said was learning to read Chinese makes him happy....this beyond shocked me. So I asked him why, and he told me that it makes him a little bit sad, but them it makes him really happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment