Friday, March 9, 2012

Gavin splits his head open






















Here are the boys playing on the playground equipment earlier this year....a priviledge that is no longer allowed. Gavin fell down on the playground and hit his head on a bench. The cut was pretty bloody, and they were begging me to take him to the emergency room. The cut was only about a 1/2" wide, and had already stopped bleeding. It was with great negotiation that I as culturally sensitive as possible explained to him that I would not be taking him for stitches. I left the school that night knowing that everyone thought I was the most neglectful, terrible mom. The next day I brought Gavin to school. They gave me a very hard time about dropping him off - telling me that he couldn't stay at school because he couldn't do any physical exercise....and I was thinking are you kidding me. I just made him run a mile to school. I didn't tell them that. Instead I pretended that I didn't really understand what the nurses were telling me, and I dropped him off to his teacher who was completely unaware of what had happened the night before. The school called me and asked me to pick up Gavin after lunch because they were afraid that he'd reopen the wound. I complied, but in my head I just thought - are you kidding me....do you know what kind of things he will be doing at my house. Trust me, he is safer as school! Saddest part of the saga is that the entire school is now prohibited from using the playground equipment....when Gavin got his cut by tripping and falling against a sharp wooden bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment