Monday, October 31, 2011

First Day of School and Beyond...

The next day school started around 8 am, pick up was at 5:15, and in between was a mandatory daily health exam, Chinese language, food, a mandatory 2 1/2 hour nap, new teachers, and new classmates.

In Gavin fashion he looked at me and said, "Mom, I am going to school today, and I am going to like it!". Then he gave me a kiss and walked right into his class.

Sam, a shy boy, took Gavin's lead and said almost the same thing and off he went witout any crying. Not bad for his first day of school ever. I heard later that they had English class that day. They invited Sam to the front of the class to speak English, and instead of speaking he burst into tears. It was just too much pressure for the little guy.

As the days of the week continued Sam became more scared to go to class. Towards the end of the week he would scream and cry while I was dropping him off. I sat outside his classroom window to see how long it lasted. 10-15 minutes later I could still hear him screaming - "Mommy, I need you. I can't be brave anymore, Mommy!" It just breaks your heart, but at the end of the drama you know how much fun he is going to have, and the perspective gives you the strength you need in the moment to let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment